Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Grindstone Creek, Boone Co.

I wanted to get down to Grindstone Creek behind our house at least one more time before we move. I tend to not visit the creek during the summer months due to the chiggers/ticks/poison ivy/thorns, but I had to make an exception this time!

Looking down towards the creek from our deck. It's way down there in all the trees, about 150-200 feet away. Very easy to hear it when it's flooding.
Due to all the rain the creek was higher than normal, and the deep holes/runs had really shifted compared to 2013.
About 100-200 feet downstream of our home in 2013. 
Same section of creek as above, but in June 2015.
One of the new holes that didn't exist prior to this year. This used to be a riffle.

I spent most of my time marveling at the changes in the creek, which required me to find a lot of new paths to bypass the deep water. There were hundreds of ~1/2" long crayfish shooting around the gravel bottom, but I didn't see a single fish. Luckily, I knew I could count on Creek Chubs if I plopped my bait into the water. A little noise and the buggers appear out of nowhere to annoy me. I remember when I was frustrated (in 2010) that I couldn't catch a single Creek Chub! Those were the days!

The last fish I'll ever catch out of the creek behind our house!
I wasn't always fishing back there, and I probably only went down there ~15-20 times over the years, but here's a list of fish I either saw or caught in Grindstone Creek behind our house from April 2010-June 2015:
  1. Orangethroat Darter
  2. Largemouth Bass
  3. Creek Chub
  4. Green Sunfish
  5. Bluegill
  6. Central Stoneroller
  7. Bluntnose Minnow
  8. Blackstripe Topminnow
  9. Common Shiner
  10. Red Shiner
  11. Northern Hogsucker

No comments:

Post a Comment